Faction Champions

oldone
Beheerder

Faction Champions

Post by oldone » 15 Jun 2010, 07:46

Faction Champions TOCH 10 man

This is a PVP fight.

What does this mean?
 You can’t tank anything (taunt doesn’t even work in heroic) (There is an exception though *1)
 All forms of crowd control work (except Mind control), but are subject to Diminishing Returns - after 3 casts, the NPC becomes immune to that Crowd Control effect for 15 seconds
 The NPCs reset their aggro tables every 9 seconds
 The NPC’s all have a pvp trinket, that does the same as the one you have (Removes all movement impairing effects and all effects which cause loss of control of your character.)
 The fight will take 6 - 8 minutes (+- 50 – 70sec to kill a npc)
 if you are focused, run away, so the others can help you. (survival is of essence)

The encounter I try to discuss here is the next setup:
Shadow Priest, Resto Druid, Holy Paladin, Hunter + pet, Melee Shaman, DK.

Key things to the fight
- Don’t clump up together. Ever second the npc’s have to travel is one gained!
- Every class with a control ability should be using it as often as possible, including healers.

- Kill a healer first (druid is mostly the best choice when no lock in your party otherwise go for the Paladin)
- CC the other healer.
 Druid can be CC by a warlock with banish + fear as long as the other healer is alive, when the other healer dies, you can also stun it.
 Paladin can be CC by a warrior (eventually helped with a warlocks fel hunter , not my favorite unless two warlocks present)

Your party
Priests
- When the shaman cast Heroism, the priest can MassDispell this.
- If the opponents buff themselves, they can purge it (like the shamans)
Shamans are great to have for:
- Purge
- Heroism to kill one of the healers fast
- Dispelling totem
Druid:
- Cyclone (help the warlock out with cc the druid) and root the melee either the shaman or the DK Cyclone/Roots/Monsoon nonstop will win you the fight almost guaranteed. You don't even have to do damage, you can keep 2(-3) people controlled by yourself if you do it right.
Mage
- Sheep the priest
- Spellsteal
Warrior
- Shattering Throw to break the paladins bubble (what he cast at 25%hp)
- Spellreflect

DK
- Death Knights are very good at pinning down melee with Chains of Ice, Dark Command, and Death Grip.
- A Death Knight with Hungering Cold is able to use theirs right at the start to control anyone who is not currently taken care of. Doing this at the beginning of the heroic encounter is very useful for burning all the champion's PvP trinkets early
Warlock
- Banish , fear, pets
Paladin
- healing, hop, bop, bos
Hunter:
- traps, pet, silencing shot
(Rogue : Stunlock, poisons, …)

The pull

There are two good ways to pull here.
- DK deathgrip one
- Mage invisible (potion or spell) middle of them, frost nova them to force them to use trinkets and iceblock right away.
A third way is to fear pull them with the warrior
Reason is that they are immune to CC for about 1-3 seconds at start when the shaman puts his totems down.

Kill order
Druid
Hunters pet
Hunter
Shaman
DK
Priest
Paladin

- The first npc (restodruid) needs to die fast, really fast. So using berserker/heroism is good to use then
- Then go for the hunters pet (or CC it) as it will interrupt your warlock or mage and eventually kill them
- Then hunter as he takes out casters so he can’t bring back his pet
- then Shaman because of his burst dmg and totems (if you are in range of a totem just kill it, don’t wait for others to do it)
- After this it doesn’t matter much, keep them CC and kill one by one.

*1 Tanking : Although tanking isn’t really possible the normal way, there are ways around to tank anyway AND reduce agro.

I explain:
Melee dps (and the hunter, warlock pets) agro is calculated based on armor, proximity and health deficit. Low armor makes you a target (see: warlocks using fel armor), as does being close to them, same as having a lower % of hp than anyone else.

Solution: Have tanks deliberately worsen their armor by removing a shield, or get them to dequip/requip their gear before the pull and let healers keep them at about 50%. This should allow them to actually tank a bit. Especially squishy classes may wish to consider chugging an ironshield potion. Spells like demon armor, or a druid's bearform, may also help to reduce your aggro when focused.

Caster dps aggro is calculated based on resistance, proximity and health defecit.

Solution: Since everyone typically has the same amount of resistance, if you're having particular trouble with caster dps, you could have some of your plate dps skip out on mark of the wild and other resistance buffs. Alternatively, you can use a flask of lesser resistance (+50 resist) to lower your aggro against them.

Healers work simply off health deficits. As one person has already noted in this thread, simply having one player beating on the NPC pets will divert a lot of healing attention to the pets. You can save CCing the healers until your kill target is getting low, since the healing won't start being poured onto the target until they're hurt somewhat.

Hope it makes something a bit more clear on this specific encounter. I post this out of my view on this setup and with the people I mostly have in my party)